Popular Space Race ride at UK theme park sealed off after 3 hospitalised in ‘incident’

A popular theme park ride has been sealed off after three thrill-seekers were left in hospital.

Flambards Theme Park in Cornwall said yesterday there was an “incident” involving one of its carriages on the Space Race ride.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is now investigating the full circumstances after three people were injured.

No details have been released regarding their conditions nor the extent of their injuries.

Simon Chilcott, from the HSE, said: “While incidents at theme parks are relatively rare, we are now gathering information to ascertain what happened.”

A spokesperson for Flambards said: “The park specialist engineers are carrying out a full investigation in conjunction with the Health and Safety Executive, to establish the cause of the incident.

“The health and safety of our visitors and staff is our top priority and as a result, the Space Race ride will remain closed until a full investigation has taken place.”

The ride will remain closed while the HSE carries out an investigation.

In a statement on Wednesday, the theme park said there was an “incident in one of the carriages on the Space Race undercover ride”.

It added: “The Space Race ride will remain closed as a precautionary measure until a full investigation has taken place.”

The incident comes after thrill-seekers were left dangling 131ft in the air when a ride at The Hoppings on Newcastle’s Town Moor broke down last month.

One fairgoer said she was left stranded for around 15 minutes on the 40 metres-high (131ft) Speed Buzz ride on the first day of the fair, while staff desperately tried to correct the problem.

She said: “We went up to the top but then we were stuck there for about 15 minutes. We didn’t know what was happening but then someone said the bracket had broke.

“[My friend] was already scared to go on in the first place but I persuaded him to go on. He was white as a sheet, he was terrified.”

Those who were on the ride said they were left tilted in their seats as staff worked to resolve the issue.

Once everyone was safely off the ride those operating it began performing test runs, with no one allowed on the ride until staff felt sure it was safe.